5 Benefits of Doing Planks
At Club Fitness we are more than just a gym in Las Cruces. Many of you experience the difference in our group classes every day.
As you know, you will experience a wide variety of exercises in our classes. Today we want to talk about Planks, which were specifically mentioned as a favorite by one of our members on our Facebook Page.
We include Planks into our exercises for many reasons and our members like them because they offer an active rest from the other active exercises.
Top 5 Benefits of Doing Planks
1. They work your upper abs, your lower abs, your obliques, and your lower back (do standard and side planks to work your entire abs).
2. Planks build your stabilizer muscles.
3. They build your strength for pushups.
4. Planks promote good posture and help to strengthen your lower back.
5. Planks also teach your abs to stay contracted in a regular standing position.
5 Steps to Doing a Plank
1. Start face down on the floor resting on your forearms and knees.
2. Push off the floor, raising up off your knees onto your toes and resting mainly on your elbows or hands.
3. Contract your abs to keep yourself up and prevent your tush from sticking up.
4. Keep your back flat — don't drop it. Picture your body as a long straight board, or plank.
5. Hold as long as you can. Aim for 20-30 seconds in the beginning and work your way up to 1 minute, as you get stronger.